Topic

Replacing Salomon shoe laces

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Replacing Salomon shoe laces

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Levander Thomas

@levander

Everybody knows about the Salomon lacing system, right? You don't tie the laces. They're these smaller strings that you just tug up the tongue of the shoe, then there's a "latch" thing at the top that you squeeze on, and pull the laces through to make the laces stay in place.

My laces tore on one shoe before the shoes themselves stopped providing good support, so I'm trying to replace the laces. I've managed to figure out how to get the laces all the way to the top of the shoe (you have to thread the laces through a paperclip), and managed to get that latch thing on at the top.

Then, you've got two strings sticking out the top of the latch, that you're supposed to secure together somehow. I guess I need to use a knot to secure them together. Because, the provided tubes that you're supposed to slide over the strings and snap the tubes together, those tubes are just too small to get the strings through. I've been trying for half an hour. Paperclips, I looked for a needle, but couldn't find one with an eye that was big enough for the strings.

Has anyone successfully replaced the laces on their Salomon shoes?

Salomon has made the magnanimous decision on their web site to remove any email contact and phone number. There humble suggestion is to talk to your local retailer… Basically, we're just supposed to get support wherever we can find it.

No one has a Salomon phone number so I can call and harass them do they?

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I'm not sure if this will work, but you could give it a try.

Grab some dental floss, preferably the slippery tape one.

Feed a loop of it DOWN thru the clip. (You might need to use a needle for this)

Pass the end of the lace thru the loop by about an inch.

Now pull the floss UP thru the clip. I think you'll get the double lace thru if you're pulling rather than pushing.

Good luck, Rod

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Sorry, I may have misunderstood what stage you were at.

What's the function of the tube you're stuck at?

Rod

Levander Thomas

@levander

No, your first post is a good suggestion.

You have to get each of the two strings though a tubes. E.g., there are two tubes, one for each string. This is where I'm stuck.

After that, you connect the two tubes together and they snap in place. Thus, joining the two strings together.

I actually just got the two strings together using a "water knot" – something I found on the internet. But, it's kind of a clumsy I think, it looks a little not right. I'll probably try again with the dental floss trick.

I tried to get the shoes laces themselves through a needle, but didn't think to use a bit of indirection with some floss.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

AHA!

Salomon shoes OR ski boots never fit me well. The "unique" shoe lace setup is just another reason why I shouldn't buy the hiking boots.

(Wait, no customer service? ANOTHER reason)

Eric

Michele Mason
    BPL Member

@bianchilvr-2

I successfully contacted Salomon USA about 2 years ago and complained that my laces broke. They sent me another pair for free, and they arrived within the same week. Try contacting them from their website.

Levander Thomas

@levander

In the FAQ on Salomon's web site, they've got a note stating that starting in April '07, they've removed the email link from their web site and recommend you contact your local Salomon retailer. Two years ago was well before April '07.

I knew I was frustrated, but hadn't thought to put it in the terms of "no customer service". But, that's exactly what it is. The shoes are good shoes…

Still planning on trying that dental floss trick.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Everybody knows about the Salomon lacing system, right? You don't tie the laces.
    Huh???
    My Salomon Extend Low shoes have ordinary laces going through ordinary eyelets. They work excellently.
    What shoes are you talking about?

Joshua Knapp

@joshjknapp

Locale: Northern Mn, Superior Hiking Trail

I have been a big fan salomon shoes, in fact I think i'm on something like my tenth consecutive pair. Love the shoes until the Kevlar laces inevitably fail. For me the laces seem to fail in the same spot, so after a few pairs I realized that a little inconspicuous piece of electrical tape wrapped around the first lace crossing closest to the toe works great. I haven't had a lace fail on me since!

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

Are you looking for these?Salomon Kevlar Laces Kit.

REI has them.

Douglas McCoy

@dmccoy

Locale: Spokane Wa

I too experianced the same issue with Soloman shoes plus a few other failures that I was dissapointed with (don't go boldering/bushwhacking in the xtr's) I ended up having to just cut the laces off of both shoes and use regualar laces and lace them like regualar shoes and forget about the clippy thingy. I still tuck the excess in the tongue, but they have since became my work shoes becuase they are no longer good for Bping.

Erik Pieh

@pieh0016

I found the number!

They said I had to deal with a local shop.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'm guessing the laces from an old pair of Salomons cannot be removed and used on another pair?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

. . . . .

VIS AVIS

@vis1234

I think most of the difficulty owners are having with the replacement laces is due to the large balls that form after burning the tips of the laces. I was able to thread the laces through all of the components once I cut off my first attempt and re-melted the tips just enough so they held together. There was a little excess on them still at this point so I trimmed that off with a scissors. As long as the melted tips are not wider than the laces they fit fairly easily through everything. I think the main point is initially melt them with the idea that you are trying to thread the laces and nothing else. You've also got a lot of lace to work with so don't worry about doing it several times if you need to. After I had everything threaded I melted a much bigger ball at the ends to ensure they wouldn't fray. Another tough spot I had was locking the two Break-Away laces together. I got this to work once I pushed the knot on the wide end through the small tube on the other end before I pushed them together.
    Other notes: The REI laces are not the same material as the originals. This makes melting the tips easier, but may mean that the flexibility of these laces is not the same. As far as reusing laces from an old pair instead of buying the kit I think it could be done–the only thing missing is the lockers. But without the lockers it wouldn't be pretty, and it would probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools