Topic

best watch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

hey guys,

My watch got broken the other day playing ultimate frisbee, very unfortunate, and I have been irritated because I havent known what time it is for the last few days

so.. I am in the market for a new one

what altimeter/barometer/compass watches have you all used/liked/recomend?

I have always had my eye on the High gear summit.. but am now very interested in the new suunto core watch

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I love my Suunto Observer. It's easy to use (once one masters the many menus and submenus), easy to read and amazingly accurate compared to my earlier alti-watches. It's also not the size of a salad plate.

The new Core has a boatload more features, and I'm all for that!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I have the High Gear Summit, and I have not been too pleased with it. It is not that the quality of the watch is poor, I just find that the functions are not worth the effort to set them or for the price you pay. I currently have a St Moritz Pathfinder Ti and I find it to be the best watch I have ever owned. It is small, light and highly water resistant. In fact I never take it off, including in the shower (I am kind of a time freak when it comes to getting to work in the morning). With a carbon rubber band, a daily alarm and a screw down dial to seal off from water, I find it to be totally reliable and something I can wear in the woods and to the office

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Locale: Land of Toto

I was going to get a Brunton ADC Summit, but now I'm thinking maybe a watch instead. I really only need temp and barometer, not wind speed like the Brunton gives.

So maybe a watch? But how accurate are they? I don't need super accuracy, but I don't want some flaky instrument that has sacraficed accuracy for size (to fit in a watch).

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I, too, have the Suunto Observer and have found it to be resonably accurate as far as an altimeter/barometer goes. I have found that, quite consistently, when reaching the altitude that the summit is supposed to be at, I still have a bit of climbing to do. This is after setting it to a known height at the base. It's not far off, just not perfectly accurate.

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Locale: Land of Toto

Do you have another 100 feet to go? 500 feet?

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Based on about 35 mountains of at least 3000' I climbed in August I would estimate that it is about 3.5% to 5% off, or 70' to 100' off on a 2000' elevation change.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

I don't have one so I am not really any practical help. I do have a geko 301 with an altimeter that does work very well for that feature (a gps adjusted altimeter is going to be better than a watch), and pretty good for the GPS stuff (I would like the new chipset). So for the price it is at least worth considering getting a regular watch and a GPS/altimeter instead.

If you want an altimeter watch, they do pop up fairly regularly on steepandcheap (not the observer apparently):

http://sac.gearattack.com/search?q=Altimeter&commit=Search

I am very happy with my regular casio g-shock as a watch; I have atomic and solar. Atomic and solar would be nice for an altimeter/compass watch, since then you would not in theory have to worry about draining the batteries with use. The 1300 is the thinest, but all the casio's might be like salad plates on the wrist, and my memory from the reviews I saw last year is that the suunto's were considered more accurate altimeters.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Pathfinder/PAW1300_Series/

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

I use a Jeep Gents JP24 that is from the UK. It reads in Meters, but I keep a small conversion on the map to help. really I have started to use meters more anyway.

http://tvs.shopping.enclick.com/jeep-gents-jp24-altimeter-chronograph-watch-PXP1588749-recomendar

Tommy

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

Suunto X6 or X6HR. I have the X6HR. I really like the idea of the Geko 301 + regular watch (where was that advice 4 years ago :-)), as the 301 (and other GPSRs with built-in barometers/altimeters) will auto-resolve the altitude with the GPS data in an intelligent fashion. The X6 is "handy," has a great interface, and you can upload the data to your PC and the software will create the graphs and such (you can even overlay two or more graphs, which makes sense for the HR part, but I've used it for the altimeter to compare accuracy).

This technology is about 5 years old now (Geko 301 is about the same), and with the Suunto Core available now, expect the X6 series to push down in price (had happened already in some sales I've seen). The Core more-or-less replaces the X6 series, but what replaces the Geko 301? Something with SIIRF and a higher res screen (maps not necessary) would peak my interest.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

How well does the HR function work in the Suunto X6HR? I need to replace an HR monitor and it would be nice to have a HR monitor with other functions.

Will there be a Suunto Core with HR functions?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Ive narrowed it down to the Core, or the S6, and am planning on ordering in the next few days,

ill do a few more side by side comparisons to get a better idea of which is right for me, but any advice would be appreciated

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Most function for the least weight is the Brunton ADC Pro which gives you a super loud alarm, storm alarm, wind chill alarm, wind speed alarm (if you want all those alarms), high altitude alarm, etc. Plus it does 12 hour weather trend forecast based upon its own measurements and shows you an icon forecast alongside the time. It weighs only 2 ounces (without the lanyard), much less than any multi-function watch I've seen (many over 3 ounces), and this measures time, wind speed, temperature, altitude, humidity, barometer, water flow speed, wind speed, wind chill. Super amazing and much less than any watch, under $190.

matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

Locale: Bay Area

deleted… didn't realize how old this thread was

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools