Topic

Sleeping Clothes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Sleeping Clothes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

I think this is the right place for this…

I was always taught to sleep with little on in a sleeping bag to let it warm faster. but the more I have read on here I should wear clothing and down jackets to bed. could someone clear this up for me.

Tommy

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's an old myth that you should sleep near naked to warm up a bag. Those sleeping clothes should be dry though.

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

So instead of putting my down jacket on the outside of my sleeping bag I should wear it to bed?

Sounds fine to me. I dry wet clothes out around the fire and have clothes for camp. when i go to bed I take them off, now I can just leave them on. The more I get into Going light the better things get…lol

Tommy

Philip Mitchell

@pmops5

Locale: Florida

You don't need to wear the down jacket in the bag with you unless you need it to stay warm and extend your sleeping bag range. It makes a great pillow :)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Some even drape the jacket over their chest but inside the sleeping bag.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Or feet.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

There is one situation where you would NOT want to wear even dry clothing to sleep.

If your bulky clothing puts pressure on the inside of your sleeping bag and collapses the down, you've just created little cold pockets and you will feel that cold seeping into your body. I have this problem with most sleeping bags and couldn't hope to wear a bulky jacket inside my bag. It would be very counterproductive since I would collapse the down in BOTH the bag and jacket. In a bag, I have to drape the jacket over top of the bag. This problem is solved with my quilt which offers sufficient room for me to wear the jacket.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools