Topic

Mountain Laurel Designs Duo Shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mountain Laurel Designs Duo Shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

The MLD homepage has a picture of the new Duo Shelter.

Specs: Spinntex .97 : 8.5' X 5.25' :11oz

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

OK, I want one now!

Tom

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

similar to the MSR twin peaks.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

and the Black Diamond Betalight, which I love, and now I can go even lighter. I wonder if there will a bugnet as well?

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Yeah, but at half the weight. I'm VERY curious of the cost though, since that could be a deciding factor.

Tom

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Man, I can't WAIT to see the next round of gear that Ron brings to the market!!!

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I recently had a foot of sticky heavy snow on a silnylon BD Mega Light. No bivy sacks. It was sticking to the exterior even with some wind, which caused extra Extra condensation and maintenance. So steeper than that would be good. I've heard the Golite Hex is better.

On another trip, the wind also badly damaged the fabric at the webbing X at the top, or was it us pitching it too low?

We found it was nice to have something blocking the open bottom, either from blowing snow or dust (that was bad), often using our packs. If there is enuf snow, that was not a problem. Also, we usually (summer and shoulder season) use heavy rocks rather than stakes, so abrasion resistance is key on the tie outs, but also the fabric around them. I file down the sharp edges first by rubbing on other rocks.

Edit: also encountered the bug net over the vent getting somewhat blocked by condensation droplets. And it froze by morning.

Edit2: yes we should have had a sponge. Maybe it could double as the foam bar that is often used to prop open upper vents, hey???

my $.02 for Ron. Wishing him lots of joy, it's got to be a tough job, and transition, hiring people etc. But living the Dream!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools