Topic

A Couple Ski Hut Trips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports A Couple Ski Hut Trips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Our winter in the central Colorado mountains has been dwindling as of late. The continuous soft powder days enjoyed during December and January are now a distant memory. While Vail Mountain has a snow water equivalent of 67% of average, Fremont Pass (closest to our hut) enjoys 111% average equivalent. Overall the Upper Colorado basin sits at an 85% index; on the drier side still, but I’ll never complain about an earlier start to the backpacking season.

Link to Sangree Trip Report

The Weston Pass Hut is a recently finished four season structure just below Weston Pass at 11,921′. I was given a unique opportunity by one of the part-owners to bring in a group of friends, free of charge, to test out the private hut in exchange for honest feedback and recommendations for the future.

Link to Weston Pass Trip Report

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

you have some great terrain, and great friends it appears. Makes me want to learn to ski.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Ha! After reading the first report, I was going to ask where the snowmobiles were. :) How do you rent the Weston hut?

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

As you probably should ask about such a thing Randy. Not my fault, I swear.

I would think that Weston Hut should be available to rent by next winter. Hopefully I'll get a few more details here soon. I think the owners would like to make a few more construction improvements this summer. They still need to haul firewood and build a good wood shed up there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools