Topic

Fastpack along JMT in Aug

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Fastpack along JMT in Aug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jennie Bettles

@sunandgranite

Hi All,

I’m itching to do about a weeklong trip this month and put some mileage under my feet. I’m still flexible but right now I’m thinking about going in from the Eastern Sierras, over Bishop Pass, and then head down to Yosemite Valley along the JMT. I’m thinking roughly 20-25 miles a day. Anyone interested?

Jennie

Clark Wilcox
    Spectator

@clarkwilcox

Are you still looking for a hiking partner? I’ve done the JMT 4 times alone — time for a change. I’m very flexible about dates and routes.

Jennie Bettles

@sunandgranite

Hi Clark,

Sorry I just saw your message after getting back from the trip. It was great. I ended up going solo afterall. Do you usually like to do the longer distances?

All the best,

Jennie

Clark Wilcox
    Spectator

@clarkwilcox

I just got back from the Sierra on Monday — we probably just missed each other on the trail. My wife and I did the 54 miles from North Lake (Piute Pass) to South Lake (Bishop Pass). She’ll only do around 11 miles/day, so I’m still wanting to get out again this summer to do some faster-paced hiking.

Last year about this time I did something a little different that I’d like to try again. I set up base camp at Merced Lake in Yosemite and did three trail runs on successive days — there are three great loops from Merced Lake, 17 – 20 miles each. I mostly walked the uphills, taking 5+ hours to complete each loop. I have no idea if you’ve done any trail running, but just thought I’d throw this out as a possibility.

If you’re interested in another backpacking trip, or some trail running, you can email me (clark @ xidak.com) — I’m in the Palo Alto area. Anyone else? — I don’t really like running alone in the Sierra.

Jennie Bettles

@sunandgranite

Hi Clark,

I’ll post this here just so others can see it as well…

Ooh! Yes, I’ve been trying to find people interested in either fastpacking or trail running at altitude and have come across only a handful so far. I’m just a newbie trail runner with only a couple of 50ks under my belt in the last few months but I’m looking at doing longer distances and would ~love~ to do more at altitude. The idea of base camping Merced Lake sounds like a great one.

I was actually thinking about creating a page/email list for folks interested in either running or hiking the longish distances. Beyond this site, do you know of other resources?

While I don’t quite know what my plans are for whats left of the backpacking season, my email is [email protected] I’m in the East Bay.

I hope you and your wife’s trip was a great one!

Jennie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools