Topic

Question about Montbell Thermawrap stitching

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question about Montbell Thermawrap stitching

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

As some of you know I've been investigating winter jackets. I was initially interested in around town use, and still am to a certain degree, despite my better judgement, and I had a question about the thermawrap.

I notice that it has "baffles" which I'm sure are just stitching. This is strictly "fashion over function" for a synthetic right? Could this stitching create any cold spots or in any way affect the warmth? Also, I imagine the stitching can't be much of a benefit in the rain..

david fausnight

@rckjnky

The stitching of the jackets is called through sewing. It is common in both down and synthetic garments. Cost is a major factor in this type of construction. A baffled jacket is far more complicated (costly) to construct. These particular jackets are designed to have less than one inch of single layer loft; through sewing isn't going to make a large enough difference in warmth to justify the cost. In synthetic jackets the insulation must be sewn to something or is would likely tear. As in sleeping bags the common practice to avoid cold spots is to use multiple layers sewn in differant places or shingling where layer overlap stitched areas. The Nunatak Skaha down sweater is an example of a UL baffled garment the price is $100+ more than most garments in this class.

Another thing to consider is that these jackets are, atleast in theory, meant to be worn between a base layer and a shell. The voids cause by the stitching will still hold air in it just wont be inside the insulation. This air will be more easily moved or cooled than the air in the insulation but its still there. This could be compared to using two 100 weight layers of fleece instead of one 200 weight fleece. The two thinner fleeces would be warmer; not because the weight of the fabric is heavier but because thay hold more air between the layers of fleece.

Hope that helps, Dave

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Very informative Dave! So you are saying that these are simply there to sew the insulation to the outer fabric? Baffles would only be useful for down which has "flow" right? I mean this is a continuous kind of insulation so baffles don't make sense. When comparing this Montbell Thermawrap to the Micropuff or Cocoon I notice that only the montbell has visible stitching.

So through sewing as you say isn't going to make a large enough difference in warmth to justify the cost, but the montbell thermawrap Parka costs as much as the Patagonia micropuff pullover with the addition of a hood and a lighter overall weight to boot.

Does the micropuff have more insulation? I've read that they are basically equally warm.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"I mean this is a continuous kind of insulation so baffles don't make sense."

Except for the fact that not structuring the insulation COULD lead to insulation tears and settling of said insulation (resulting in cold spots).

Remember that, in apparel applications, the insulation is standing upright rather than laying draped.

david fausnight

@rckjnky

Andrew, The micropuff does have stitching to hold insulation in place but its only visible from the inside. I can't say for sure about the cocoons but I suspect they are about the same in construction. Joshua is right, synthetics not attached in many places wont last long; think cotton ball, fluffy but doesnt stand up well to pulling.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools