Topic

Petzel E+LITE

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Petzel E+LITE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

Does anyone have this? I was thinking about using it as a full time light source. Right now I use one of those keychain lights, but it is annoying that you have to hold down the button. at .9oz it seems like a good deal.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/frontoffice/Sport/static/Services/ELITE/elite_video.htm

Tommy

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If the keychain LED is bright enough for you (and it should be if it's just for doing camp chores and stuff) — why not get this and still keep the weight down? With the Photon, you can have the light on, off, and also control brightness. But the thing I like best is the "alligator clip / platform" — you can clip the thing to your cap or just the front of your tee shirt — and adjust the angle to light the way. No more beaming into people's eyes!

But answering your question about the Petzl — I've read good things about it too — such as here.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

This headlamp is great. Mine is used full time on all my trips (except winter when I bring a little more umpf -tikka- for safety). I don't hike in darkness so I can't comment on that aspect of it, but mine is used for everything else. I've had the same batteries in mine for about 12 nights now. It is still giving out enough light to get the job done. If your getting by with one of those mini lights, this one will be more then adequate for you.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I have one and it's replaced my Princeton Tec EOS as my "go-to" light. It's more than enough light for me and I really like the red light feature to rpeserve night vision. I think you'll like it, especially if you're used to a keychain light.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

It's a great little light, and unique in what it does at the size and weight. See our review for more, and do note the ever-plunging output curve.

Coming next year is this interesting little light from Coleman.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4347-718&categoryid=1116

No red mode, but it should offer better battery life than the e+Lite. CR2 cells aren't cheap though.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I like mine quite a bit. Its perfect for around camp, which is about all I use a light for when backpacking. Replaced my 'heavy' PT Aurora which always seemed to be overkill for what I used a light for (cooking, bathroom runs, rummaging after dark, etc.). Don't do much night hiking. The times I have there has been plenty of light from the moon and on well established trail so I didn't feel the need for a headlamp.

Adam

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Rick:

Curious, have you (or do you know of anyone who has) done a comparison between the Petzl E-Lite and the Photon Freedom Micro in the "plunging output" area?

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Tommy,
    I use both a Photon and the E+LITE. The Photon is great for most camp area chores, has variable brightness settings, is water resistant and very light. Plus as mentioned it has a great clip set up. In fact, I like the clip set up so well that I found a way to use it with the Petzel E+Lite which does come with its own clip. The Petzel clip I found a little to hard to use so I ditched it and used an extra Photon clip instead. The E+Lite us much brighter, more water proof and will work for more extensive endeavors at night with its multiple LEDs.
    -Mark

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

How do the two compare in the "output plunge" area? Thanks.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I've got one, and it literally saved my butt this past weekend when I underestimated my ability to get to camp before dark. It's lightweight, and surprisingly comfortable on the forehead. I bought it just for camp chores and reading before bed, but it was pressed into a role I didn't intend for it to fill, and did wonderfully.

Now, to get one for the whole family :D

Tom

Peter King
    BPL Member

@pking

Locale: N. Nevada

Love the functionality for the weight; it's now my standard light. However, I had to return the first one because the switch got jammed and stopped working (wouldn't go to the red position). The same thing has happened occasionally on the second one. Still use it, but carry a photon as backup.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Since April, I've been using the E lite as my regular light (Photon II on lanyard as my emergency light), even though mine broke the first day I used it. It was dropped (from 1 1/2 feet) into gritty Joshua Tree Nat Park sand which jammed the switch (which doesn't really come apart) so I worked it back and forth until it broke the detents. Now it doesn't 'click' into place, you just have to find the spots that work each light. Petzl was more than happy to replace this, but since it still basically works, I declined. For moonless night hiking, I've used it but wished for brighter light–it helps to clip it to the pack hipbelt for this as that gives better depth perception. For a week out, I carry two sets of spare batteries cause it seems to eat them–the light hasn't ever burnt out, but it seems to get dimmer with battery wear. The elastic band soaks up lots of water, but the hardcore take the headband off and the clip is very secure. I like the e lite, but my next headlamp will have AAA's and I'd like to try a solar charger from solarworld.com as the 2032's cost $2:00 each.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I have the E+Lite as well and honestly I do not think you could even compare it to some of the finer single AAA powered flashlights out there (it was a waste of money in my oppinion). For my every day carry on my keychain I used an Arc AAA premium. Much much brighter than the e+lite and the battery lasts longer. Clip it to the brim of your hat and you have a pretty sweet and long lasting headlamp. To step it up a notch I also got the Fenix LOD CE for my all around hiking light. This little sucker blows the Arc out of the water. I used to have a Tikka XP and this little light is brighter and long lasting. On a september hike in the Grand Canyon I got turned around while hiking on the Tonto trail at 4am. The group in front of us had Princton Tec Scouts and a few had e+lites. In that kind of dark they proved useless. With the high beam on I was able to spot the cairn we could not find from well over 200 feet away. No way that would have been possible with a coin cell light.

While this is off of the topic of keychain type lights, if anyone is looking for a supremely bright light check out the Fenix L1D Rebel. I have been using it for night running for the last month and it is crazy bright and easy to use. Best of all I have done at least 5-6 hours of use at night and I still have not recharged my battery yet.

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

Like Peter, the eLite is my go to and I carry a Photon for emergency back up (the only other thing I carry a back up for is fire starting). Love the eLite. Best combination of weight, comfort, brightness levels, unmistakeable on/off, and run time I have found.

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

Jeff

You are in Maryville? I Live in Jeff city just 30 mins away from ya… small world.

on the e+lite, I like the sound of it. right now I use a little keychain light from the good ole walmart for all my hiking needs. I am use to it so the E+lite may be a step up. I use a minibull designs candle lantern for around camp usage. Also how much does the E+Lites little case weigh. since I am cutting grams and ounces now I don't know If it is worth the case.

Tommy

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

I don't carry mine. Just the light with the headband weighs exactly 1 oz.

George Gagesch

@coolbreeze-2

I am having problems with the switch not moving well. Will be bringing it back to REI for an exchange. I do however like the weight and size of it and how well you can direct the light. It's not to see for any distance, but rather for around camp and trails.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

This past summer I bought a Princeton-Tec Impulse. It has 2 clips, one for hooking to your pack, etc. and one to put on the brim of a hat. I really like this light. It was just fine for doing camp chores, bathroom, etc. I did not do much night hiking. If I did I would probably use a bit more substatial light. It also weighs a scant 14g. I always carry a spare light or battery.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools