Topic

beginner fleece question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear beginner fleece question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

My Mom is going to make me a fleece, I was going to make it myself but she offered. Anyways I'm looking to have something like an equivalent of the R3 Patagonia fleece. something very warm and wind resistant. I've been searching around for fabrics. My question is this, is them Polartec 300 the same as the Patagonia R300? Quest fabrics only has a yard left and Seattle Fabrics has some but not in darker colors. Seattle Fabrics and Outdoor Wilderness carry the Polartec 1000 Windblock, anyone know how that compares to the 300?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here is the breakdown on the Regulator fabrics from the Patagonia web page at http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=2300

Note that only R4 has a windproof membrane. The rest really need some sort of wind or rain shell to be fully effective.

Regulator insulation comes in four weights: R4®, R3®, R2®, and R1®.

R4 is our warmest technical fleece, with a stretchy wind-proof laminate sandwiched between a high-loft exterior and an R2 grid interior.

R3 is our plush, high-loft fleece that maximizes warmth in deep cold with minimal weight. It has Polartec® PowerDry side panels for an improved technical fit.

R2 is a short-sheared, high-loft fleece with R1 panels to improve fit and mobility for extended comfort on long approaches, ice climbs and ski tours. Its fur-like fibers offer superior warmth and lightweight breathability.

R1 is minimally designed and finely tuned for the full spectrum of mountain endeavors. Its high/low grid fabric traps heat to insulate and moves moisture off the skin.

I don't know what Patagonia R300 is. Are you thinking of 300W fleece? Synchilla? I would go with the 200w fleece max for hiking. The hairy looking Polartec High Loft as used in the R3 would be a better bet than 300w fleece. From there lofted fills like down or Primaloft have more warmth and compressibility for the weight. 300w fleece is a boat anchor!

200w fleece can be cheap to buy. If your Mom is a good seamstress, get her to make you a Primaloft or down jacket instead :)

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

You need Polartec thermal pro fleece. Check millyardage.com. They should have different varieties of it there.

Ryan

Peter J
    Spectator

@northoakland

Locale: Temescal Creek

I just looked through their selection and they don't have it. I am curious if other folks do sell it by the yard.

There have been other threads here about fleece and some discussion as to whether or not it is really critical to have the latest and greatest. Yes, it would be fun to have but I don't know how much of a difference I would notice.

Miles Spathelf
    BPL Member

@miless

Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

Thanks I'm looking at millyardage.com right now.

And yes I do have a down jacket, a primaloft one, and a primaloft vest I made. I also realize they aren't as warm for the weight and bulk as insulated items, but I like fleece.

Peter J
    Spectator

@northoakland

Locale: Temescal Creek

Thanks for pointing that out that they do have it. I had missed it because I didn't look closely enough. What is confusing to me is that they have it labeled Classic 200 wt: Thermal pro… I assumed that "classic 200 wt" would be, well, "classic 200 wt" rather than anything else. The available colors are rather fun.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Your OP stated a desire for wind resistance. High loft, or 'fluffy' ThermalPro has almost no wind resistance, and really needs something like a pertex shell to make it useful in windy conditions. But as that makes for a versatile layering system, it's a system I'd recommend over a straight windproof fleece any day…

Steve Chan
    Spectator

@sychan

Locale: SF Bay Area

You can look into either one of these 2:

http://www.millyardage.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9525

http://www.millyardage.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9619

They both provide wind protection and high loft, the powershield one additionally provides water resistance.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools