Topic

BPL Pro 90 Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL Pro 90 Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I thinking of making the leap toward a quilt – the Pro 90 from BPL. Does anyone know the lengths of the long and regular? Any experiences with it?

My only reservation with moving toward a quilt is the lack of insulation around my head. I could purchase a balaclava or a long version to combat the problem – any advice?

Thanks for the help!

Pat Rabun
    BPL Member

@prabun

Locale: Southwest

I have a Pro 90. The long is 78" in length and the regular is 70" (per the BMW site). I like the quilt overall. It is very light, packs nicely, and is well-made. I would prefer a strap/buckle closure (like Nunatak uses) to tighten the quilt rather than the existing string closure.
    I used the quilt this past weekend (and several other times) in the Oauchitas. Nightime temps in the lower to mid 40`s. I was in a Lunar Solo tent, had a torsolite pad and a GG Nightlite (under my legs). I slept in a t-shirt, Cocoon pullover, Icebreaker 200wt pants, and a possum down hat (no socks). The humidity was high with a light wind. I slept slightly cold. I think socks and perhaps my UL60 Cocoon pants would have been perfect.
    It could be that I :1. Didn`t eat enough 2. Am just a cold sleeper. But the point I want to make is that the Pro 90 must be used as part of an overall system of layered clothing in all but summertime conditions. I like mine, but I recommend you experiment with different temperature/ clothing combos before you take it into the backcountry to see what works for you.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Pat,
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to use the quilt in combination with Montbell's thermawrap jacket and pants – I think that combination will be able to take me down to the mid thirties.

I'm just having a tough time deciding between a regular or long. I think I'd like to have the extra length, but can't decide. I'm 5'10. Any thoughts?

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I own this quilt as well and about a month ago layered with lw wool long underwear with windshirt and pants over that and a Patagonia Micropuff vest and the pro 60 balaclava kept me very comfortable down to a very humid 43 degree's.

Pat Rabun
    BPL Member

@prabun

Locale: Southwest

I`m 6' and have a long. It is fine for me length-wise. Go to http://www.bozemanmoutainworks.com . They have all the sizing info there on the quilts, including height vs length measurements.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Is the footbox wide enough to accommodate a bag inside and use it as an overquilt? Also does anyone know the exact loft?

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

I just ordered one of these so I guess I'll be able to measure it myself shortly to get dimensions. I am puzzled why dimensions, loft, temperature range, packed size, etc. is not available anywhere including BPL and Bozeman Mountain Works. The absence of footbox dimensions is particularly vexing since this is touted as a winter overbag but there is no way to know how it will work over other sleeping bags.

Anyone have this info, particularly the loft and low temperature rating?

Am also interested in the best packing method for this quilt: how small can it be compressed before the insulation is compromised? I understand that synthetics loose permanent loft sooner than down; I'm wondering what the life of this material will be and how the packing method/compression will affect or accelerate the deterioration.

I'll be searching other articles and threads for info on the Delta insulation but appreciate any info anyone has on the Cocoon line of quilts.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

I think they used to say 500 cubic inches per 16 oz of cocoon gear

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

I just posted a review of this quilt complete with far more dimensions and specs available from BPL or Bozeman Mountain.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=10232&cat=Sleeping%20Bags%20%2D%20Quilts%20%26%20Top%20Bags&cid=38

I ordered this during the sale last week and my review is based on measuring and handling the quilt but not any field use as I won't be keeping it.

Although it would work for summer conditions (with limitations noted in the review), IMO it is totally unsuited as a winter overbag. I urge BPL to reevaluate the product page description and refrain from touting the Pro 90's suitability for winter; it's simply too small.

Shahrin Bin Shariff
    BPL Member

@zzmelayu

Locale: In the shadow of Table Mountain

Siegmund, I also just ordered the BPL Pro 90 Quilt. From the reviews and the photos, there is not much loft on the Pro90. I was under the impression it is same or slightly better than my RAB Top Bag. Oh well….I guess we will see when it arrives. Disappointing though…

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Shahrin,
    Will be interested in your evaluation after you receive yours; interested how your conclusions will differ from mine. I also just edited my review to include recommendations for improvement when I realized I hadn't copied that text into the review.
    Sig

Douglas McCoy

@dmccoy

Locale: Spokane Wa

Quick question. I was noticing that some of you wore "alot" of extra clothing when sleeping with a quilt. To me this is redundant and over kill. For all the extra clothing taken one could use a sleeping bag of apropriate temp rating and still be lightwieght. (I.E. WM, FF, MB, etc) Now if this is taken as part your clothing kit than I completly understad and will need no more explanation. But from my experiance and hiking style, the only extra cothing I carry for the 3 seasons is a capiline top, wind shirt, beanie, and thin polypropaline gloves, and one exra pair of sock that gets rotateed out. My hiking is in the PNW with night time temps down to about 35F Once I enter into the fringe and witner season then yes I do take extra and warmer clothing. I too have considered a quilt though I would prefer a down one instead of syntehstic. But if haveing a quilt means having to lug all this extra clothing then I will stick to my 20 oz 40F bag that I can take down to about 30ish or slightly less, comfortably with the clothing I am wearing inconjunctuion with my extra clothes. To me the 6oz difference between a 14 oz quilt and a 20 oz bag does no good if the extra clothing and or clothing required takes an additional 12-23 oz or so. Why not just take a 2oz mylar emergancy blanket for when push comes to shove. I hope I am making sense, but for some reason I feel as if I am rambling and not making a point. Sorry. It must be mid term week :-)

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Douglas,
    I had noticed the same thing and your comments make sense to me.

Some people seem to be carrying "extra" puffy clothing to sleep in so the lightweight quilt will be warm enough. If night-time temperatures are in the 40's and require this supplementation to be comfortable, why not just carry a good three-season ~30 deg bag (mine is a Montbell UL SS Down Hugger #3) and be done with it. I would think that day-time temperatures would normally be considerably warmer and this kind of body insulation wouldn't be needed except for sleeping. I'll normally hike in a longsleeve capilene top (will soon try a new lightweight Icebreaker) and don't take anything extra but a windshirt (Houdini) and light fleece vest (in addition to midweight underwear for sleeping) for temperatures in this range.

I too hope I'm not mis-interpreting the conditions experienced by others where this clothing is actually needed and worn during the day.

Christian Klose

@trap20

By not carrying puffy clothing you are giving up the ability to be static for longer times, the clothing you listed won't keep you warm at 45F while not moving.

If you don't mind paying that price it's a good way to save weight.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I would agree with doug. If you have to carry thermawrap jacket and pants to stay warm at 40* there is something wrong with your quilt. I'm not even sure I would need a sleeping bag or a quilt at all at 40* with the thermawrap gear (parka and pants) if I were wearing decent baselayers.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I like the idea of taking extra synthetic clothing for trail stops and camp where the chance of getting wet is more likely and then carrying a bit lighter down sleeping bag, in my case, protected by a tent.

That way, I have some flexiblility in my comfort level if the night turns out to be either cooler or warmer than the forecast.

Sleeping comfortably and safely is to me, worth the price of a little extra weight.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Doug, the reason that a lot of us on this site carry insulated clothing is that it's multipurpose gear. It serves to provide insulation while inactive in camp during the evenings and in the morning. But it also provides an efficient layer for your sleep system. The key is that the clothing and your sleeping bag or quilt work together as a sleep system.

Personally I can carry a 1 pound down sleeping bag and about 1 pound of insulated clothing. Together they cover almost the same temperature range as my 2 pound down bag rated at 20 degrees.

In the end you get to choose what works best for you. But there is a reason that some of us hike this way – it's lightweight and flexible. It also allows you to apply both down and synthetic insulation to their best uses.

There are many articles here that articlulate this philosophy especially from Ryan Jordan and Alan Dixon.

Shahrin Bin Shariff
    BPL Member

@zzmelayu

Locale: In the shadow of Table Mountain

>Will be interested in your evaluation after you receive yours

It was shipped 10/23 and just passed customs in Paris 11/02. I should see it in Tripoli here in a couple of days. I am already disappointed because I expected the PRO90 to be equivalent to your MB SS-UL#3 or my RAB TOP BAG, a 32F bag. I am comfortable in my RAB Top Bag ontop of a Z-lite torso wearing only one baselayer top and bottom at 2300m/32F. I wanted the PRO90 to be my 32F synthetic option.

I was hoping to pass the RAB to my daughter and use the PRO90 myself OR on colder trips use the PRO90 to extend the RAB 5-6F below freezing. Anyhow, I will see. Unlike you guys in stateside, return is almost non-optional for me. The hassle of getting the equipment+shipping+customs duties makes returns it not worthwhile.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools