Topic

Finished Stove, but problems.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Finished Stove, but problems.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

The stove I have been working on for a couple of days is finally done. However, there are a few problems. There are pics on my website here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15718061@N02/sets/72157602610451136/show/

Any feed back would be helpful, but, as you can see from the pics, the flames are orange, too much soot, and the flame goes out quickly even though there is still fuel in the stove. Thanks guys all of ya'll have been a huge help to me starting out with my MYOG projects.

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

I think the fuel is the problem. I was burning just isoprpal alcohol. Going to try HEET and denatured alcohol. Maybe mix?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Iso alcohol is suboptimal — esp. the 70% concentration that's most commonly available at drug stores. Use denatured alcohol instead.

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

I mixed HEET and 91% Iso together and I got a good clean burn. 1/2 & 1/2 was the mixture i used and it was very clean. I am going to try to see how little HEET i can use and still get a burn that is clean enough for my liking. I also bought denatured alcohol and I'm going to try mixing that too since it is a little more expensive. (5.50 per quart).

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Kyle,

Please, post your result on your best mix of 91% Iso and HEET. I kind of settled on the 50:50 mix, but got distracted with another project and didn't try any lower ratio of HEET to Iso.

Also great pics of your stove. Looks like a modified penny stove. How did you get the flames to jet toward the middle. Did you angle the jet hole some how, or did it just naturally do that? Anyway nice job.

-Mark

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Mark,

The stove just naturally did that. if you're talking about the pics on flickr, i think the jets went together because it was so huge and it just came together. I did try the 50/50 mix of HEET and 91% Iso and it burned a lot cleaner and just worked a lot better. I am going to try differnet ratios, and i wil be sure to post the results, although I'm not sure they will be as organized as the ones you have recently posted.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The rising heat (chimney effect) of the flames pulls them together. You might get a wider pattern if you installed a rivet nut and cap screw in the filler hole. The pressure in the stove will rise and help open up the flame pattern. This may weigh less than the penny.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Thanks Denis, that makes sense. For Kyle's beercan pot a concentrated central flame pattern would be optimal I would think. So he may have a perfect stove for his set up.
    -Mark

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

With .026" 'jet' holes, drilled in the top fold of the can (you drill from the inside out)the flames will be even more concentrated. For a 'Coke' sized can I'd use 26, evenly spaced holes for a pressurized stove.

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Hi there,
    any new insights on the Heet/Iso-Heet ratio for best-burning fuel or have we settled on 50-50?
    Thanks,
    Sven

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Sven,

I'm still working on it, but I hope to post soon. I have been busy, and wanted to try denatured alcohol ratios also. I also am wanting to buy a thermometer so i can see how hot each mixture burns.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools