Topic

Drought Continues in Southeast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Drought Continues in Southeast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

Locale: Southeast

The AT is has become so dry thru-hikers are starting to drop off the trail. Plagued by the driest spell anyone can remember, springs are drying up in locations that are usually reliable water sources.

Last week a friend hiked the section from Erwin, TN to Damascus, VA. He reported that the only water he found was between highway 19E north to Denis Cove Road. In this area he reported water was plentiful. However, from Watauga Dam north to Damascus the only water was from Trail Angels.

I hiked part of the Iron Mountain Trail and AT north of Damascus last weekend and while it was dry most springs were still running. At Saunders Shelter the flow was about ½ the diameter of a pencil. Additional water was available from the streams running along the Virginia Creeper Trail. At Sandy Flats Shelter (on Iron Mountain Trail) the flow was a little stronger but not much.

A got a call from a couple of friends hiking on the AT just north of Hot Springs, NC. On the hiked from Allen Gap to Hot Springs yesterday and the first water they found was the French Broad River (which is not so broad anymore). They spent the night at Elmer’s and were advised that the trail is pretty much dry all the way to Standing Bear Farm.

Pray for rain!

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Unfortunately, this isn't surprising in the least. From what I understand, Atlanta is in a serious water crunch and I can only imagine how bad the AT is getting hit.

Tom

Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

Does any body have information on the section of the trail from Dick's Creek Gap to Fontanna? I'm planning to hike in that area next month. Is there water at Bly Gap?

Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

According to the guys at Bluff Mountain Outfitters, hikers are reporting no water from Max patch to Hot Springs.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I just got back from Pine Mountain here in GA. There were a couple of water sources that were dry too apparently, mostly campsite water sources. Luckily, I had a good camp :D

Tom

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

I just finished a thru hike of the Foothills Trail.It runs from near the GA/SC state line north crossing the NC/SC line a couple times. Water EVERYWHERE. Was a pleasant surprise.

This was in addition to the fact that it rained for 3 days and nights…

Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

I did a few miles on the AT near the NC/GA line. There is no water at Bly Gap. There is water at the shelters in that area. Several SOBos confirmed water was in good supply all the way to Fontana except from NOC to Stecoah Gap. There is water at the gap. Walk west of the trail (toward Robbinsville) on south side of road about 50 yards. Cross guard rail and walk up the FS road.

Mountain Crossing Outfitter is posting water reports on their web page for Georgia.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools