Topic

Mariposa and Gorilla hip belts, pack volume, recs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mariposa and Gorilla hip belts, pack volume, recs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Hi,
    I'm fairly new to backpacking and I'm looking to go to a lighter pack. I've been using a Deuter ACT Lite 60. I think the weight is 3lbs 14 oz. Yikes! Even with this pack, I have my base weight (no fuel, food, or water) down to about 14lbs. My pack fits and hauls very comfortably.I live in CA so a bear canister is necessary some times. I use the Bear Vault 450 (smaller one).

I really like the configuration of the Mariposa with the external pockets, hip pockets, tent sleeve, pole loops, …

My concerns:

-hip belt attachment. From what I understand, it's just attached with velcro as opposed to a "hard mount."

Does the load transfer to this belt well? For about 5 days my skin out weight would be about 25-27lbs but at times would reach the upper limits of the pack (35 lbs) if my kids are along. Not a huge concern but something to think about.

-Lack of compression. I know it has some but I don't like to just stuff my bag in there to fill it out. Sorry, I've tried and don't like it. LCD I guess.

-Volume. The GG site says 57.1L total but I read some reviews that list it around 68L depending on the pack size. Which is it? 68L is too big.

Gorilla

Same concern about the hip belt and volume. Reviews say it's 47L but the GG site says 38L total which is too small for me.

I guess I wanted some feedback about my concerns and some recommendations for or against, plus recs on other packs. I'm looking for a pack 2lbs or less. I don't want to go frameless.

I'm also looking at the Granite Gear VC 60.

Thanks for any info.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I was skeptical of the GGear velcro hipbelt attachment, but it works well. There's a little bit of sag in the belt/stay/fabric interface, but it's only really evident up near 40 pounds and above. My only reservation with the Mariposa is that it's fairly deep/fat and doesn't compress especially well. For some folks its an issue, for some not.

I think the 38 liter rating for the main compartment of the Gorilla is fairly conservative. It's not a huge pack by any means, but I think 45 is a better number insofar as comparing it to other stuff is concerned.

If you're concerned about weight bearing, the VC 60 is not the way to go. For most people it will have worse weight transfer than the Gorilla or Mariposa, not better. The Blaze would be the way to go in that case.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

I have no experience with the Mariposa, but plenty with the GG Gorilla.

GG specs it out as 38 L main compartment. I disagree. With the (shortish) expandable collar full, the main compartment would not close reliably if filled with more than 35 L. A nice weekend pack, up to 4 days/3 nights max.

This is precisely why I sold it – its volume did not meet my needs.

As to weight carried, the Gorilla is unpleasant above 25 pounds, and outright uncomfortable @ 28 lbs. Under 25 lbs, however, the load transfer to hips is very good, and the belt does its job well.

The Mariposa, being rated higher in volume and load-bearing capability, is a closer match to the OP's needs.

For loads in this range I have found my nirvana with my Elemental Horizons' Kalais – it's a keeper.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools