Topic

has anyone tried this wood burning stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear has anyone tried this wood burning stove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I would speculate that the flame of your stove ignited the gases that had accumilated on top of and around the container containing the cloth.

I made a device to visually help me determin the correct distance from stove to bottom of pot. It's adjustable, raises and lowers the pot in relation to the stove top. I was using windshield washer solvent in my glass pot because of freezing temps in my garage(too lazy to get fresh water from house)I didn't realize there was enough alcohol in the fluid to be concerned about. As the wndsld solvent heated up the alcohol vapors ignited by the stoves flames coming up the side of the pot without me knowing it.
    The flames inside the pot being invisible during the testing. I made ready my camera to make a movie of the testing under dark conditions and then shut the lights off. to my surprise, I could then see the flames inside the pot. I took some photos of the flames to be posted with test results on my website bplite.com.

This is why I speculate flames came up along side the container being used to bake the cloth and ignited the gasses coming out the hole.

First two photos are a steel mesh cone shaped wood burner that worked very well.(MYOG)

The second two are of the device used to determine correct distance burner to pot. The burners flame is visible inside the glass pot. The flames changing color and pattern can be seen clearly through the pyrex type glass.

<center>

</center>

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Zelph,

Where'd you come up with that Zmart Ztove? Is that a new offering from the Sierra Zip guys?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Vintage Stoves!!!! As far as I can tell it's their first model put on the market many years ago. I have other photo on my website, I'll drag them over.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

<center>

</center>

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

This one is for Andrew Wilson and others when they say their stoves burn clean as a candle. :)

It shows just how "Clean as a Candle" is when we talk about wood burning stoves, even the Bushbuddy.

Turbulence is what causes a candle to burn dirty/sooty, try it at home, see for yourself.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

This will give you an idea of what the Garlinton stove looks like when burning from the top down. I used low odor mineral spirits to moisten the top twigs to get it started. I made an additional 3 test burns that failed to burn as good as this first one. Up to this point it is a finicky stove and is difficult to light evenly without a lot of liquid starter fuel. I will resume my testing of it when it gets a little warmer.

Clickable movie

<center>

</center>

James Ennis

@jimennis

Locale: South

I built one of these a couple of weeks ago and had the opportunity to use it on an overnight hike last weekend. Had a lot of rain, so fuel was damp, but was able to boil 12 oz. of water in approximately 6 minutes. I was very happy with the results, considering the damp fuel situation.

http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=155

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools